Jaevion Riley’s death considered ‘suspicious’, police say – NBC Boston

Authorities say a 7-year-old boy who was in a coma after he was found severely burned and beaten in an apartment in Manchester, New Hampshire, last week has died.

The New Hampshire Attorney General’s Office and Manchester Police said in a joint statement on Wednesday that they consider the death of Jaevion Riley “suspicious” and that their investigation is continuing.

Emergency crews responding to a report of a minor in distress at a flat in Manchester on January 17 found Jaevion unconscious and suffering from severe burns, police said. He was transported to a local hospital and then transferred to a Boston hospital, where he died on Tuesday.

The Massachusetts Chief Medical Examiner’s Office will perform an autopsy on the child, but results are not expected for several months, pending further studies, prosecutors said.

Murtadah Mohammad, 25, the child’s father, was arrested last week and charged with various offenses stemming from the alleged abuse of his son, including one count of first-degree assault, two counts of assault in second degree, two counts of tampering with physical evidence and one count of endangering the welfare of a child. He was named a public defender.

According to court documents, Mohammad told first responders he was in the shower when his son was injured and did not see what happened. However, first responders noted there was no evidence to suggest anyone had just taken a shower, and there were other inconsistencies in his statement. He would later tell police, according to an affidavit of arrest filed in court, that he used force and hot water as forms of discipline.

A mother says the man accused of the horrific assault that left her son in a coma is the boy’s biological father.

The child’s mother, Rainah Riley, told NBC10 Boston last week that her son was in a coma and that the hospital described his injuries as “torture, maiming and brutalization”. She said Jaevion suffered skull and rib fractures, brain bleeds, lung damage, severe burns and more.

“It’s absolutely awful, it’s awful and it’s sickening to watch. It makes me physically sick to watch my own son because of what this man did to him,” she said.

Riley said Mohammad got joint custody of Jaevion a few months ago. She said she tried to report signs of abuse, such as bruises, to the New Hampshire Division for Children, Youth and Families, but nothing was done.

“I called for health checks on him when he was with him, for the bruises, and no one did anything,” Riley said. “The system has failed not only my child, but so many children. And something has to be done, because it’s not OK. It’s not. Like, when is this ‘is enough?”

Asked about Riley’s account last week, a DCYF representative said the agency is required to protect the privacy of children and family under state and federal laws.

Leave a Comment